College of Commerce
It is a constituent unit and Post Graduate Centre of Magadh University , Bodh Gaya
(Bihar,India) duly recognized by University Grants Commission , New Delhi under
2(f) and 12(B). The college was established in 1949 by Pt. Indu Shekhar Jha a
man of great vision , the founder principal of the college, and also, the
father of commerce education in Bihar. Coming from a small village called Sabour in Bhagalpur district of Bihar,
Pt. Jha was a post graduate in Commerce from Calcutta University On the advice and
assistance from the late Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India, Pt.
Jha translated his long-cherished dream of starting Commerce education in Bihar
from Chapra College Chapra (Bihar) as a department of the college . But, not satisfied
with this small beginning, and having a dream of launching an institution on the
pattern of London School of Commerce or Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics,
Prof. (Dr.) Baban Singh
To Create a Class of Intellectually, morally and spiritually sound and
committed citizens, who will become a human resource of high calibre, to cater the needs of the society and the country
as whole in accordance with our motto 'Lucens at Ardens' which means light and glowing bright'.
"Pt. Jha soon started campaigning door to door, at the same time, contacting
some eminent people in Patna like Late Justice Khalil Ahmad, Late Nageshwar Prasad
(Advocate) , Late H.B. Chandra , Late Indiraj Bahadur and Late Babu Shyam Nandan
Sahay to explain his ideas and seek their help to establish a Commerce College at
Patna - the capital of Bihar. His herculean efforts bore fruit , and , in 1949 ,
he launched his cherished institution, College of Commerce, at P.N. Anglo Sanskrit
School Campus , Naya Tola , Patna in a rented house . Initially , only I.Com. programme
was started with hardly a dozen of students and six faculty members . Later on,
in 1953, Raja of Pali graciously donated lands to start the college at the place
where it is today. The college was affiliated to Bihar University, Muzaffarpur
a new university launched in 1952 in Bihar. In 1957, Science education was introduced
in the college on the advice of the then Vice-Chancellor of Bihar University, Muzaffarpur
Babu Shyam Nandan Sahay himself, followed by Arts faculty in 1960 and Law in 1963."
The above paragraph has been quoted from an article College of Commerce: The dream
of a Saint by a former faculty member of the college Dr. M. Asdar Hussain in the
college magazine Bimarsh published in May 2002.
The original name of the college College of Commerce, mooted by its founder, is
still retained, though, a sizable section of the people, now, holds that it should
be changed to "College of Science, Arts and Commerce."
Currently, the College is imparting undergraduate and post-graduate education to
students in many subjects of Arts, Science and Commerce with adequate infrastructure
including well furnished laboratories, library and spacious classrooms. P.G. teaching
was initiated in 1984 when Magadh University, Bodh Gaya selected the College as
a Post Graduate Centre.